Monday, September 11, 2006

Angela Collins: Why I decided to submit?

Source: http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0408-2411


I accept that I cannot control the events that occur in my life or in the lives of others.

Islam is the only religion that communicates total submission to our Creator, the Creator of all people and of all things. As a Muslim I know that everything I do first begins with an intention and then I must transform that intention into an effort in order to carry out what has already been decreed. This wisdom defines my path to be a better person to myself, my family, my community and to all of my brothers and sisters here on earth.

In essence Allah (the one God) opened my heart, Islam gave me the direction, and now I live to serve out the guidance lent by my Creator for happiness here on earth and if Allah wills, in the hereafter.

While religion is a resource to help guide ourselves to good behavior through our spirituality, there is no prerequisite that it should be far fetched in mental comprehension.

I am a recent convert. Catholicism is the religion followed by my forefathers. At the age of 14, I refused the trinity concept and narrowed what I saw as a complicated tale of 'three in one' down to 'two in one' and started attending a Baptist church.

Throughout my life, I have searched for understanding, but when it came to my faith I truly was confused about why God would come as a human being and would allow himself to die for the sins of only those privileged enough to believe in his (or his son's) crucifixion. I found this explanation extravagant and shared my doubts with pastors and scholars who gave every effort to communicate the Christian belief to my understanding. I asked myself: "Why would my religion need to be so complex?" When I reached adulthood, I decided to make it very simple. There was just one, our Creator and that was it. No other explanation could rationally make sense.

I see Islam as a religion that came to clarify the errors of human beings who changed the original word of God to fit their interests. Islam is simple: God is God. God created us and we worship God and God alone. God sent Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed (PBUH) to deliver his message to guide all people. In Islam, Jesus is the only prophet who never died which is why he is the only messenger who will come back before the Day of Judgment to lead the people of the books: [the Torah, the Injeel (Bible) the book of Psalms and the Quran]. The Quran is the final book that has never been altered to fit the changing interest of people throughout history.

Islam confirms that you are not awarded passage into heaven just because you say you are Muslim. And you may not go straight to heaven just because you believe that God is monotheistic. You go to heaven based on your intentions and actions following the message taught to us by the messengers themselves and confirmed by the original books of God. Heaven is not an exclusive club for those who merely follow what their fathers taught them. Instead it is your responsibility, especially as a Muslim, to constantly search for truth, understanding and to read and think. After reading every chapter in the Quran twice and taking detailed notes, I believe that this masterpiece could only have come from my Creator. Without a doubt the author of this book knows more about me than I know about myself.

It is no secret that Islam is seriously misunderstood and disliked by many here in my homeland, the United States. My conversion to this "controversial" religion has my family and friends puzzled. It is my sincere belief that Allah led me to Islam by enhancing my passion in exploring unfamiliar perspectives through foreign travel. I have a genuine interest in building bridges with all people everywhere rather than promoting my own ideology as the only system that can work for all people.

While culture shock is a mild term to express the drastically different life styles of Muslims in the Middle East, I saw great beauty in the generosity of people, the cohesiveness of families and the immediate acceptance of a girl so foreign in her ways. Even so, in the present I face a culture shock within my own predominantly Middle Eastern Muslim community. I do understand the challenges a Muslim born into their religion faces to dissect their own culture within it. After finding myself in Islam, I am able to adhere to the teachings supported by the Quran and Hadiths while also managing to bypass the cultural manifestations taught by Muslims born into their religion. Islam is multi-cultural and is a system that can be adopted in any environment at any point in time.

I can confidently say that if Allah had not breathed Islam into my soul, I would have never found Angela. Well, today, here I am: Angela, a Muslim American: the soul who persistently searched for her Creator and has found the Creator of all that is in the universe and beyond, in Islam.

Angela Collins

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each of us comes to God in our own way, with our own needs. If our spiritual needs are fulfilled, then the way we have found is the right one. I find Angela's account quite poignant. We should all be blessed with such clarity. Skip

siddiq510 said...

Assalaamu'alaikum Angie Collins. Alhamdulillah, I'm so happy to hear your story. I'm even more happy to have read it because I know you. Yep!...this is no joke. I used to go to Canyon Middle School and Castro Valley High School with you. As a matter of fact, I used to live right around the corner from you...AllahuAkbar!
Before I tell you who I am, I must say that I myself embraced Islam almost 2yrs ago, by the grace and mercy of Allah. Remember me...Justin Waltz! If you dont, look in your yearbooks, you'll remember me. To make a long story short, I started getting very stangely curious about religion in my early twenties in the midst of a life of crime. After a long process (8yrs), I took my Shahada in Pleasanton CA. where I now reside. My name is now 'Siddiq Jibreel Islam' InshaAllah. A friend of my Mother's said she had read your story in a magagzine (I wanna say 'People'), she asked if I remember you..I said yes...and today I came across this blodge so I figured I'd drop you a note. I pray that you continue to grow and strengthen in faith and that your time in this dunnah is fruitfull. You are an excellent example for others. 'Allah Guides whom he pleases'....Assalaamu'alaikum Angie Collins.

Anonymous said...

Salam
Watch interviews with Angela collins
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1947
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1948
Salam

Anonymous said...

asalamualaikum.im from malaysia n proud of u.alhamdulillah.u found what u need in ur life and after life.salam

Anonymous said...

Hi ANgela my names Farhan from the uk just wantched your interview on fox news and read through writing Iam so happy that you have found islam in your sould to guise you in life inshallah all the best Farhan

Anonymous said...

Dear Angela,
Assalamu alaiykum.i read your conversion testimony and was really moved by it.It is indeed a great favour from Allah to have guided to the ligth of Islam Alhamdullilah .Sorry if i may sound rather funny in asking for more details about your private life.Ammmmmmh aare! u married? and if not why?
am itching to know becos i think i have dev a crush 4 u.
Pls can i get a reply my email is muhdkabira@yahoo.com
I am Muhammad K( an admirer)

Anonymous said...

SALAAM ALIKUM ANGELA , I AM AM AMERICAN BORN MUSLIM WOMAN WHO CONVERTED 6 YRS AGO, AND YES I TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT HOW WE NEED TO CONSTANTLY LEARN GROW AND SEEK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ISLAM, INDEED I GET PROBLEMS FROM SOME MUSLIM BORN PEOPLE WHO WILL NOT REPLY TO MY SALAAM ALIKUM BECAUSE I AM AMERICAN BORN , BUT NOT TOO OFTEN ,I AM OK WITH THAT I SIMPLY PRAY FOR THEM AND ASK ALLAH(SWT) TO SOFTEN THEIR HARDENED HEARTS AND WHO KNOWS?... THAT PARTICULAR PERSON I SAID SALAM TOO MAY HAVE JUST BEEN HAVING A BAD DAY SO I JUST PRAY FOR THEM , SMILE AND MOVE ALONG ON MY WAY , RUNNING ERRANDS ETC, WITH WHAT I WAS DOING BEFORE ..THAT'S ALL AND I FIND ISLAM VERY GOOD ELHAMDULILAH AND YES EVEN AFTER 6 YRS I AM STILL A STUDENT OF ISLAM , I DONT CLAIM TO KNOW IT ALL , BUT IT IS AN INTERESTING AND VERY FULFILLING JOURNEY INDEED I WISH YOU CAN READ THIS BOOK "STANDING ALONE IN MECCA" BY ASRA Q. NOMANI IT IS VERY GOOD INDEED, IT'S ABOUT A MUSLIM UNWED MOTHER MAKING HAJJ WITH HER PARENTS AND HER BABY SON. IT IS TRULY AWESOME ,I HOPE THAT YOU CAN FIND IT ONLINE OR AT YOUR LIBRARY, PLEASE TAKE CARE MA SALAAMA, CLAUDIA HASSAN JERSEY CITY NJ HERE IS MY E- MAIL SISTER : USERCLD3891@AOL.COM PLEASE DROP ME AN E -MAIL ANYTIME IF YOU LIKE ,THANKS FOR YOUR AMAZING STORY, JAZAK ALLAH KHAIR ,MA SALAAMA, CLAUDIA HASSAN

Anonymous said...

Angela:

Very happy for you! You may recall we met at Kennedy Marshall.

Blessings.

Art/Lamont

arttwain@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Angela, Asalam-o-Alaikum,In this day and age it was indeed a gutsy move to convert to Islam.I always have the highest respect for people like yourself as compared to those who were born muslims (like myself).Generally speaking,we take our religion for granted.We are not that inquisitive about what is in the Quran and we never make an effort to seek the true meaning. But I am sure you must have done so and that is the reason that now you have a better understanding of the quran than many born muslims.I am not a practising muslim but your narration has really moved me. Bless you!! Andrew Miller and_rew99@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

sallam alykom!!!

I'm very happy to read your story, I like you deeply from all my heart....

Susannah said...

As salamu alaikum to all, & congratulations to Angela for weeding through all the misinformation about Islam to find the TRUTH. Alhamdulillah! I too was a typical blond-hair, green-eyed, "girl next door" American gal, and accepted Islam a number of years ago. And I never, EVER thought I would become Muslim, and certainly never thought I would wear hijab. But Alhamdulillah, I was wrong on both counts! I am so thankful that Allah answered my prayers to find the TRUTH. Once I stopped putting "conditions" on what I wanted that truth to be (eg I stopped saying "guide me to the truth but let it not be Islam"...) then Allah opened my heart to Islam.
As for the naysayers, "Lakum deenakum waliya deen". Allah guides whom He wills. Amen.

norman said...

alhamdou lillah,

as you said islam is so simple, one god, god is god.

I thank people like you, who, in these hard times for islam, are the air that is refreshing our souls, and the new blood with which we as a ummah are reborn again ...
thank your god for giving you this privelege and reponsibility.

alhamdou lillah
"jazaki allahou khayran" (=god bless you)

Unknown said...

Bismillahirohmanirrohim.
Deeply from my heart I am so happy to read your story to be Muslim. You have chosen the right religion. Allah swt is only the one as a God, not two or even three. Allah is the one, Allah has not mother whose pregnantly. there is no equal with Allah (Sarah AI-Ikhlas: 1-5). "A person who convert to Islam is a person who want to look for the truth, but a person who convert to be a Christian is a person who doesn't know about Islam well so easily to change his religion just because someone promises something."
We are living on this earth is only to worship to Allah swt. Every single thing we have done will got reward from Allah. To be honest, I really want to have a communication with to share about your experiences. Please drop me a line if you wanted. My email address is: attaturkisme@yahoo.com
I am from Indonesia as one of the Muslim country. If you might have time, come and visit Indonesia.

Salam,

Attaturk Ali

Muhammad bin Ramli said...

Assalamu alaikum..
Angela,I always pray to Allah that someday the people of America know the truth of Islam,that Islam is not what you all thinking,All the Prophets from Adam till Muhammad Sollahu aliahi wasallam are Muslim,and the only religion that came from the sky is Islam.The aqidah is same,only the syareat is different.I hope to see you in the future,came visit me in Malaysia.wassalam

Muhammad said...

alhamdlillaah

Islam is no longer alien to Europe and Americas. it is for all the continents of this globe.

Being a Muslim by birth and living in a Muslim country, I always wonder, how our new brothers and sisters find their way to Islam despite all the distractions of modern life and negative publicity of Islam added to the terribly wrong behaviours of ours which are being taken by some none-muslims as part of Islam.

Indeed Islam is the only path that would lead to the Paradise, and it is the only way for the humanity to win the satisfaction of God Almighty Allah.

May Allah bless you all.

Unknown said...

Assalam O Alaikum to All,

I am very happy with Angela's convert to Islam, going through her post it is greatly pleasing how simply she has defined basic concept about Allah, the Almighty God.

In my opinion all converts to islam are more strong in their belief as they study and find the right path through to Islam against wishes of their family and friends. Whereas born muslims sometimes take it for granted and think automatic induction into Jannah (Paradise) as part of Package which surely is a misconception.

Unknown said...

Assalamu Alaikum... Ahamdulilah Allah subahanuthalla will picked you and gaved imaan. you make intension & duva for all humanbeings... Allah please give hithayath for all including me. for want to fallow ur comments and fallow life style of mohammed(phuh). make duava because may Allah accept ur duva...
my Name AhamedIbrahiM Bin PeerMohidheen

jewaputra said...

I eyes soaked with tears when I heard in the video you said, ".....and my mother gave me my name....and my name is Angela....and Angela is a Muslim".

jewaputra said...

Assalaamu'alaikum Angela,

My eyes soaked with tears after remembering Allah showing the right path to the chosen ones especially when you said, "...and because my mother gave me my name...and my name is Angela...and Angela is Muslim".
You're among the chosen one.

bido said...

assalamo alikom
angela collins great congratulations that you fined your right way , your right belive , the way of eslam .
Batnaqk congratulate Islam
I have read the story of your Islam and I was very pleased to read that I think you're honest and one of the people of Paradise
I pray you to make you steadfast in Islam and be among the slaves
Paradise and attain a higher and adjacent prophet Mohammed and the prophets in Paradise